May 3rd 2013

Back in March I was asked to create a set of illustrations for The Walrus, for their 'Miscellany' section.  I've worked with the magazine for years, but have always wanted to do the illustrated treatment used for the beginning section of the magazine.

A favourite series of mine from years ago was done by my friend Lauchie, which you can view here.  He even won a gold medal at the National Magazine Awards for his work.

I was given the task of coming up with a theme that would run through the series of illustrations, and I thought it would be fun to illustrate a 'supermarket' theme.  I painted the type in the style of an Honest Ed's hand-painted sign, an editor's note on green organizations like Green Peace using green produce, the letter section as an envelope of coupons and the contributors section like a carton of eggs.








No comments:

Post a Comment