November 9th 2009



A friend recently made the homemade Chai Tea recipe from
Joy of Cooking for a brunch we were having, and it was amazing. I haven't been crazy about chai tea in the past, because I've only had cafe-style Chai Tea Lattes and the like, but from scratch, it's amazing!
It'll definitely be a favorite recipe over the holidays.
Here's the recipe for anyone that wants to give it a try.


{ Joy of Cooking Chai Tea Recipe }
makes 4 to 5 servings, (or two, if you're Chris and I)

Bring just to a boil in a medium saucepan:
3 cups water
1½ cups milk
¾ cup sugar, or to taste (I used far less, and either brown or raw sugar, and it tasted much better)
2 cinnamon sticks
16 cardamom pods, crushed
1 tsp whole cloves
½-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
½ tsp whole white or black peppercorns (I want to give pink a try next time)
Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes. Return to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in:
2 tbsp black tea leaves (I used "Earl Grey Cream" from Tealish and it was so delicious!)
Cover and let stand 2 minutes. Strain and serve at once, or let cool and serve over ice.

7 comments:

  1. this is how I was taught to make chai!! It really really is the best, and the only way to drink chai!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so delicious! What a good breakfast or after dinner treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I have to try this.

    It was so nice to see you on Saturday! I hope you can tell me about that sweet little capelet you were wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anabela, it was great to see you and Geoff! I'm so glad you had a good time. And the sweet little caplet was knit for me for my birthday by my dear friend Nikki. I can ask her which pattern she used if you knit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda I have spent the past hour going through all of your children's book illustrations on your website and I am. just. blown. away. You are truly one of the most talented illustrators I have ever met, and your work rings in my brain with memories from my own childhood from such wonderful illustrators like Beatrix Potter (I hope that doens't offend you because I LOVED her ridiculous little drawings growing up!) you are such an inspiration and I would wish you all the best but it is painfully clear yo have gone beyond the best and are now in the totally sublime universe. Keep on working lady, it's a true inspiration. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, thank you so much for the sweet comment! It's so good to hear from you! And I absolutely love Beatrix Potter, so I'm flattered. I'll be in touch with you and your brother shortly! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks! I don't knit, though. Just admire!

    The chai was delicious! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete