October 6th 2009



For a long while, Tove Jansson has been one of my favorite children's authors/illustrators. I may have read one or two of her books when I was younger, and I'm sure I saw a Moomin movie as well. But it wasn't until I started working at Magic Pony that I really became interested in the children's books.

One of my favorites so far is Moominland Midwinter. Some of Jansson's later Moomin books were a little more mature and (a bit dark?).





Above are a couple of illustrations from the book I just borrowed from the library, Moominvalley in November.


Chris was flipping through the illustrations in this book and noticed that in the earlier books, the Mymble looks an awful lot like me bundled up for a rainy day. She developed a large nose and crazy eyes, (and sometimes even small horns?), in the later books though. Odd...

6 comments:

  1. haha! Chris is right! it does look like you! That is so cute to find a cartoon of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the children's theatre i worked at for years in winnipeg had a beautiful puppet show rendition of 'comet in moominland'. it was like an hour of magic. so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That would be amazing! Is there a Finnish community in Winnepeg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moomin appears in strange places, I got some sakuma candy from T&T and it came in a tin with moomin and his pals on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten the same tin! And I think I either got it from T&T or one of the candy stores in Pacific Mall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I loved those books as a child and have never met anyone else who read them! Thanks for putting those illustrations up.

    ReplyDelete